Letter C lapbook and activities

After a long weekend break, we went on to do the Letter C lapbook this morning. The words covered from the lapbook are Cupcakes, Counting, Creation, Cake, Caterpillar, Car, Circus Clown.

letterc3 letterc2

The materials of the lapbook were taken from KidsSoup and Lapbook lessons.

letterc4

Kyle did an colour mixing activity thereafter. It was rather messy, but he had alot of fun and managed to grasp the concept that mixing primary colours produced secondary colours.

letterc1

I then asked him if he wanted to do art for to make a cloud artwork, he told me that he did not want to do art today.

When he was given art activities (part of the alphabet lesson plans) without asking if he wanted to do it, Kyle show disinterest and an extremely short attention span while doing the art activity. I realised that it is always wise that I queried on his interest in the activity before we start doing it.

That’s one of the key advantages of home learning. The learning is centred around the child’s interests and catered to his personality. I foresee that this spirited personality of Kyle’s will face some challenges when he is expected to participate in structured lessons in school.

Maybe even for a child, art is an activity that needs for an individual to be in a certain state of mind, before he is inspired to create an artwork or craft. I suppose it is time we start on art appreciation, using CM methods.

From our session this afternoon, I noticed that Kyle had very little interest for counting games. I did not insist that he complete the counting game and allowed him to do something else. I do hope that it is not due to a natural lack of affinity with numbers (hope he is not like me, I hated maths when I was young) but rather, due to the technique that the learning is delivered. After going through a couple of alphabet lapbooks with Kyle, I realised that he is usually more interested in the literacy and science concepts incorporated in the lapbook and has very little interest in the math concepts.

I will incorporate less math in the lapbooks, instead, will explore concepts from Count on Math: Activities for Small Hands and Lively Minds. This book introduces learning activities to present math in a developmental sequence that allows children to build on their understanding in a logical sequence (scaffolding of activities), and ensures that children develop a conceptual understanding of math.

0 comments: